Get Affordable Treatment in India
A Heart Transplant is a surgical procedure performed to replace a diseased/non-functioning heart with a healthy one. The surgeon removes the patient’s heart by making a transaction in the main pulmonary artery, the aorta, and the superior as well as inferior vena cavae, and then dividing the left atrium. This leaves the back wall of the left atrium that has the pulmonary vein openings in place. The donor’s heart is then connected by sewing together the recipient and donor vena cavae, aorta, pulmonary artery, and left atrium.
Get a Free Consultation From Dr. Aman Kumar
Who Would Require a Heart Transplant?
There may not be enough donors available for everyone who requires a heart transplant. Therefore, the selection of recipients is done carefully to ensure that the heart transplant is performed to those who would benefit most from the donor’s heart. Most of them need a heart transplant because their hearts can no longer pump well enough to supply the blood with oxygen and nutrients to the organs of the body. Only a few patients possess a good pump, but a bad electrical conduction system of the heart due to certain problems that may occur with the conduction system. This electrical system determines the rate, rhythm, and sequence of contractions of the heart muscle.
Initially, After the medications, if the patient doesn’t show any recovery, the doctor will suggest him/her go for a heart transplant. Secondly, all the team members will have an analysis of the patient if he/she is eligible for the treatment. Then, the patient needs to wait for a healthy donor heart. After a successful operation, the patient is provided with a lifetime plan of healthcare and medications, including frequent visits to the doctor.
Heart Transplant Procedure
Heart transplant consists of three operations:
- First Operation: Includes harvesting the heart from the donor who would have suffered brain death. Once the brain death of the donor has been determined, a team of physicians, nurses, and technicians go to the hospital to remove the donated organs. The donated organs are then transported in ice to keep them alive until they can be implanted. This is optimally less than six hours for the heart.
- Second Operation: This involves removing the patient’s damaged heart which may be very easy or very difficult, depending on if the patient had previous heart surgery. If there has already been previous surgery, cutting through the scar tissue might prolong and complicate the heart removal.
- Third Operation: This includes the implantation of the donor heart involving the creation of five lines of stitches. These lines of stitches connect the large blood vessels entering and leaving the heart. In case, there are no complications, then patients who have had a heart transplant will be discharged from the hospital about one week after the surgery.
Normally patient observes these symptoms when it comes to a heart valve disease,
- Heartbeat is not regular.
- Fainting and dizziness
- Ankle and feet swelling
- Shortness of breath
- Fatigue (extreme tiredness)
- Chest pain
- Abdominal swelling
When Can I Restart Working?
It takes about Six weeks if you have sitting work. In case you hare doing in field hard physical work, you may have to wait for Three months.
Life After Heart Transplant?
The duration of stay in the hospital differs from person to person. For some days, you will stay in ICU, and then you will shift to the standard hospital room. For two to three months, we advise you to stay close to the transplant center because of frequent monitoring. Once we get the satisfaction that you are fit, then you can move to your home town. There won’t be many follow up visits after then. At any point, you feel you are getting any symptoms mentioned earlier, kindly inform our team beforehand. It will be useful for us to take the necessary steps. The frequency of heart biopsies will reduce over some time. The heart biopsies are done to check whether your body is rejecting the donor’s heart. The doctor will implant a tube into a vein in your neck attached to the heart. A tiny heart tissue will be taken and will go for additional examination.
Diet and Nutrition:
After all the treatment processes,Doctors and their team will provide you with a personalized Diet and Exercise routine. The patients must control BP, reduce stress, and maintain an overall good immune system.
Feel free to contact us!
Join the Healthy Revolution Today.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter, Blogs, Camps.